Geeking-Out September 27, 2021
Social-Emotional Learning (SEL)
Curated by Vicki Stockbridge
Social-Emotional Learning (SEL) is the process through which children and adults understand and manage emotions, set and achieve positive goals, feel and show empathy for others, establish and maintain positive relationships, and make responsible decisions.
There are 5 main components of Social Emotional Learning:
- Self Awareness: Understanding yourself
- Self Management: Controlling impulses, stress, and emotions
- Social Awareness: Understanding the perspectives and feelings of others
- Relationship Skills: Communication, Cooperation, and Conflict resolution with others
- Responsible Decision Making: Identifying problems and brainstorming solutions
Continuing to learn how to understand and process our emotions is important to the well-being of our communities.
The art of Education UNIVERSITY posted this article including 50 activities that support SEL, many of which are easily adapted for adults as well.
Included are 15 Art Lesson Ideas; 25 Books to Read with Students to Address SEL; and 10 Games to Play that Explore SEL.